Code of Ethics
The Alaskan Klee Kai Club of America (AKKCOA) requires that all members agree to abide by the Club’s Constitution and Bylaws, these Code of Ethics, the Rules and Regulations of The American Kennel Club, and AKC’s Code of Sportsmanship to promote and foster the highest standards among Alaskan Klee Kai breeders, exhibitors, owners and fanciers. AKKCOA is a Club devoted to the continued protection, improvement, advancement and welfare of the Alaskan Klee Kai breed. The following Code of Ethics is predicated upon this fundamental philosophy.
1. I will demonstrate good sportsmanship by being respectful and courteous in my words and conduct at shows and other events, and also on online social/public media sites. I will offer encouragement and guidance to interested persons and novices, recognizing that the future of the breed depends upon the sharing of accurate and knowledgeable information.
2. I will comply with and maintain accurate, current information and records of my Alaskan Klee Kai as required by the American Kennel Club.
3. I will be honest, factual and timely in all my communications, either written or verbal, as well as in any advertisements or promotion of the AKK. I will honor all written contracts, agreements and guarantees.
4. I will maintain the best possible standards of good health, sanitary living conditions, proper nutrition and quality of life throughout the ownership of my dogs; including following a program of routine veterinary care, seeking medical attention when needed, and educating myself about preventative measures for current medical issues, pertaining both to my location and to the breed in general. I recognize the possibility of euthanasia as one of the responsibilities of dog ownership, and will not tolerate unnecessary suffering or inhumane treatments.
5. I will comply with all laws applicable to ownership of dogs in my community and/or breeding of dogs in my community.
6. Breeders will ensure that all breeding dogs are AKC (and/or UKC) registered and all litters are AKC Litter Registered whenever possible.
7. Breeders agree to initiate AKC Litter Registration for any litter they breed prior to the placing of the puppies, or to inform the buyers in writing prior to placing the puppies, of an extenuating circumstance that requires additional time.
8. Breeders will breed their Alaskan Klee Kai only to other AKC (and/or UKC) registered Alaskan Klee Kai which are an asset to the breed, demonstrated by being healthy, structurally and temperamentally sound, and displaying no disqualifying faults.
9. Breeders will breed their Alaskan Klee Kai only after it has properly matured, and only as often as is consistent with good health under the dictates of sound veterinary care and AKC rules for age and frequency.
10. Breeders will encourage and promote the highest standards in improving, by selective breeding and health testing, pure-bred Alaskan Klee Kai that possess the appearance, soundness, structure, and temperament that is reflected in the AKC standard of the breed, and to do all possible to bring their natural qualities to perfection.
11. Breeders will not breed, and will require the spay or neuter of, any of their Alaskan Klee Kai which display disqualifying faults per the AKC standard, congenital defects, known hereditary defects, poor temperament, or other developments not in the best interest of the breed. An exception may be made if a licensed veterinarian declares that spay/neuter surgery may needlessly endanger the health of the dog.
12. Breeders will screen buyers to the best of their abilities to ensure a safe and loving environment, and a life-long relationship with any dog that they sell or place.
13. Breeders agree to be available for guidance to buyers of any puppy/dog that they place to include those placed as pets or show/breeding potential for the lifetime of the puppy/dog.
14. Breeders will not knowingly sell or trade dogs to wholesalers, retailers, pet shops, medical research facilities, or agents thereof, or to unethical persons whose intent for breeding or owning is questionable. Breeders will not offer any AKK or stud services in auctions, as prizes or for raffle.
15. Breeders agree not to place puppies prior to eight weeks of age. Puppies will be up to date on vaccinations and parasite controls as required by law or veterinarian recommendation.
16. Breeders will provide the buyer(s) at the time of puppy/dog placement: all health records, a Sales Contract signed by both the seller and the buyer, and information about puppy's/dog’s lifestyle (food currently eating and any other helpful advice).
17. If contracts are intended to cover circumstances in which registration papers are to be signed or withheld, they should include specific provisions addressing those issues. The contract should also specify any spay/neuter requirements when appropriate.
18. Breeders will furnish a description, in writing, of any warranties or special considerations regarding the health of any Alaskan Klee Kai that they sell or place, including a guarantee that the animal is free of communicable diseases at the time it leaves their control.
19. Breeders and owners are encouraged to make provisions to ensure all dogs are microchipped and those microchips will be registered.
20. The use of the Club or AKC logo without appropriate permission is considered unethical and could be illegal.
AKKCOA approved 12/21/2021